Idaho High School Theater Awards
Public and private high schools in Idaho are invited to participate in the inaugural year of the Idaho High School Theater Awards (IHSTA) program, produced by the Velma V. Morrison Center for the Performing Arts on the campus of Boise State University.
The IHSTA program is designed to celebrate, support, and advocate for high school theater education. We aim to celebrate high school musicals and students by formally recognizing the extraordinary achievements of our community's productions. We welcome schools of all sizes and students of all experience levels.
The IHSTA is a regional program of the National High School Musical Theatre Awards, known as The Jimmy Awards. The Jimmy Awards have been in existence for ten years, but this is the first and only program in Idaho, and we are excited to showcase the talent in our state.
Components of the Idaho program:
- Professional adjudication and constructive feedback on your school's musical performance
- Participation in masterclasses in voice, movement, and acting by touring Broadway professionals (if available)
- Invitation to a Formal Awards Ceremony on the Morrison Center main stage modeled after the Tony Awards on Friday, June 7, 2023, at 7:30 p.m.
Please contact us, if you would like an informational session.
Student Eligibility for the National Program:
Each year two outstanding student performers (one in a male role and one in a female role) are nominated to join top students from across the country for a week of private coaching with NYC Tisch faculty, master classes with Broadway professionals, and rehearsals in preparation for a special performance on the Minskoff stage (where Lion King performs). National nominees are determined through an audition process facilitated by the Morrison Center.
- Must be a student in grades 9-12.
- Must be in a lead role in a qualified musical - for a list of eligible roles, please see below.
- Production must be adjudicated through the Idaho High School Theater Awards program.
- Students must apply and participate in an audition process
Application for the National program coming soon!