The Patty Duke Awards
2024 PATTY DUKE AWARDS OVERVIEW
The Morrison Center for the Performing Arts is excited to once again celebrate high school musical theater with the 2024 Patty Duke Awards Program! The Patty Duke Awards recognizes outstanding achievement in musical theater across the State of Idaho.
The 2024 Patty Duke Awards Ceremony will be held at The Velma V. Morrison Center for the Performing Arts, home of Broadway in Boise, Idaho, on Friday, May 24, 2024. The following student performances will intersperse the awards presentations: one full ensemble number from each of the up to six winning Outstanding Musical Production Award recipients, two performances by those students participating in the Intensive week leading up to the ceremony, and one character medley performance by the eight Patty Duke Awards National Finalists.
High school theater and production team members are invited to join us Thursday, September 28, 2023, from 5:30-7:00 pm, at the Morrison Center for the Performing Arts to learn about this year's Patty Duke Awards. This session will walk through the participation packet and complete program details, including some awards category changes and other program adjustments, before general registration opens on October 2, 2023.
Attendees will receive a private link with an opportunity to register for this year's Patty Duke Awards program prior to the general registration opening. Registration is first-come, first-served, and space is limited.
RSVP for the Information Session HERE.
2024 PATTY DUKE AWARDS PARTICIPATION PACKETS
2024 AWARD CATEGORIES
Awards will be given for excellence in the following categories:
- OUTSTANDING MUSICAL PRODUCTION
- OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE BY AN ENSEMBLE
- OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE IN A LEAD ROLE
- OUTSTANDING PERFORMANCE IN A SUPPORTING ROLE
- OUTSTANDING STUDENT STAGE MANAGER
- OUTSTANDING STUDENT SET DESIGNER
- OUTSTANDING STUDENT LIGHTING DESIGNER
- OUTSTANDING STUDENT SOUND DESIGNER
- OUTSTANDING STUDENT COSTUME/MAKE-UP DESIGNER
- OUTSTANDING PERFORMING ARTS EDUCATOR
- OUTSTANDING STUDENT REPORTER
A panel of three qualified professionals will attend and evaluate a public performance of each participating school's musical production in the school's home venue. Judges will utilize a comprehensive rubric to score all qualifying categories. Following the performance, adjudication feedback will be provided to teachers to share and utilize as appropriate for educational growth. The highest scores will determine the winners in each category. Winners will be announced in a live broadcast from the Morrison Center on April 30, 2024.
PATTY DUKE AWARDS PROGRAM EXTRAS
The following opportunities will be available to participating schools:
- Industry Workshops
- Broadway Masterclasses
- Broadway by the River Cabaret
- Stage Manager and Technical Theater Workshops
- Spring Broadway Bootcamp
- Resume/Headshot Workshop
- Selecting and Audition Song Workshop
- Patty Duke Awards Intensive Week
PATTY DUKE AWARDS STUDENT REPORTER PROGRAM
HOW ARE THE PATTY DUKE AWARDS WINNERS SELECTED?
- A panel of three Morrison Center-selected judges will attend and score each participating school based on detailed guidelines. The highest scores will determine the winners in each category, and winners will be announced in a live broadcast from the Morrison Center on April 30, 2024.
WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF THE PATTY DUKE AWARDS?
- The Patty Duke Awards recognize, celebrate, and encourage extraordinary achievements in musical theater among high school students within the State of Idaho. This program aims to create visibility and support for high school musical theater programs and to highlight the importance of musical theater and arts education in our extended community.
ARE THERE OTHER PROGRAMS LIKE THIS ACROSS THE COUNTRY?
- More than 45 cities host similar programs. Patterned after Broadway’s Tony® Awards, a competition for high school musicals was conceived 20 years ago by Pittsburgh Civic Light Opera. Since then, the concept has spread across the nation, and in 2009, an annual national awards program, The Jimmy Awards, named after James M. Nederlander, chairman of the Nederlander Producing Company of America, was created to provide a week of professional training in New York for students named Best Actor and Best Actress at their respective Regional Awards Programs.
HOW DO I REGISTER MY SCHOOL?
- Registration for the 2024 Patty Duke Awards will open on October 2, 2023. A registration link will be added to this webpage by 10:00 am on October 2, 2023.
- Production staff who attend the Information Session will receive advanced priority registration.
- Registration is $100 (scholarships are available) and is limited to the first 25 qualifying schools. Please carefully read the entire handbook (linked above) before registering.
THE PATTY DUKE AWARDS MISSION
The Patty Duke Awards recognize, celebrate, and encourage extraordinary achievements in musical theater among high school students within the State of Idaho. This program aims to create visibility and support for high school musical theater programs and to highlight the importance of musical theater and arts education in our extended community.
THE PATTY DUKE AWARDS VALUE STATEMENT
The Patty Duke Awards are committed to fostering a vibrant and inclusive community where all voices are celebrated and heard. We strive for equity by providing equal opportunities for participation, recognition, and growth, irrespective of race, ethnicity, gender, sexual orientation, ability, or socioeconomic status. We support educators in their efforts to ensure equitable and inclusive casting in their productions, both onstage as well as backstage. As we work together in these efforts, we hope to create a culture where the world truly is a stage for everyone.
SPONSORS AND SUPPORTERS
Thank you to our 2023 Patty Duke Awards Sponsors.